6 Different Types of Guests and How to Wow Them
Once you’ve identified the type of guest and the reason for their stay, you’ll be able to gear up your rental to meet their needs and offer that personalized service that really resonates with guests.
We’ve identified 6 different types of traveler along with the best ways to wow them during their stay.
For most business travelers, their priority is practicality. They’re often in town for just a few days and looking for a convenient, hassle-free stay. Their rental acts primarily as a base for work activities, but also as a place to relax in the evenings after a busy day. These travelers are most like traditional hotel guests, with their focus on convenience and ease.
Top tips to wow business travelers
- Provide coffee: It’s a staple that helps people get through busy mornings and exhausting schedules. If you can provide one, a quick and easy coffee machine is a luxury perk that this type of guest in particular will appreciate.
- Provide Wi-Fi: Staying connected is a must for guests who are traveling on business. Make sure you invest in a high-speed Wi-Fi connection and that the password is easy to find if you’re not on-site to welcome them.
- Make sure you have an iron: Because no one wants to turn up to an important meeting with a shirt creased after being packed in a carry-on bag.
- Provide essential toiletries: Business travelers will often be traveling light. Including essentials like shampoo, conditioner and body wash will help with packing and give a luxury hotel feel to their stay.
Families with young children
Going on vacation with toddlers in tow can be demanding on parents. Anything you can do to make things easier will definitely be noticed and valued by this type of guest. From ways to keep the kids entertained to more practical matters (like asking if they require cots or highchairs) there are many ways to wow families staying at your rental.
Top tips to wow families with young children
- Stock up on toys: Families won’t be able to bring all the kids’ favorite toys with them on vacation, especially the bigger, bulkier ones. A box of new exciting things to play with will delight them and be a nice surprise for the parents, too.
- Child-proof your home: Remove any expensive or delicate decorations so parents won’t be constantly worrying about keeping the children away from certain areas of the house.
- Suggest fun things to do: Recommend nearby kid-friendly activities. If you know some attractions require advance booking, let your guest know so they don’t miss out.
- Point them to the local supermarket: Kids’ needs are extensive, so knowing where the nearest supermarket is can be a huge help to parents.
Families with older children
Keeping everyone in the family happy on vacation isn’t always easy, especially when there are lots of different ages involved. Sometimes, the most challenging are teenagers. But with just a few pointers, you can help all your guests have an amazing time. Here are some hints:
Top tips to wow families with older children
- Provide snacks: Older kids tend to have big appetites, so keep them sweet with a supply of free snacks. It doesn’t have to be anything special – just some granola bars, a fruit basket or even some frozen yogurt in the freezer.
- Provide Wi-Fi: Staying connected with friends back home can be important for older kids. Make sure you have a Wi-Fi connection so sharing photos and keeping in touch is easy.
- Recommend great family attractions: Collect leaflets and literature for nearby things to do that appeal to all age groups. This is perfect for making sure everyone feels involved in deciding which attractions to visit.
Couples take trips together for lots of reasons, from honeymoons and anniversaries to babymoons or just simply to get away. There are many ways you can enhance their break, whether this is by adding an element of romance or just optimizing your guest experience.
Top tips to wow couples
- Welcome them with wine and flowers: Have a bottle of wine and/or some flowers waiting for your guests when they arrive. They don’t have to be expensive, but it’s a thoughtful gesture that will get their stay off to a great start.
- Provide first morning breakfast: Help your guests relax by stocking the kitchen with the essentials for breakfast on their first morning. A few pastries, milk and coffee will be an unexpected surprise.
- Suggest romantic things to do: Whether this is a great restaurant or a nearby spot you know that’s perfect for sunset strolls, share your knowledge to help the couple get the most out of their stay.
Groups of friends
If your property is popular with groups of friends vacationing together, it’s the perfect opportunity to add value to their stay with a few simple tricks.
Top tips to wow groups of friends
- Create space to socialize: Whether it’s a fire pit outdoors or a living area with sofas, scatter cushions and snuggle seats, a relaxing space for friends to enjoy each other’s company will have a big impact on their stay.
- Recommend the best night spots: Use your local knowledge to recommend some great places – a beachside bar, the trendiest new restaurant, or the best place to get take-out. If they’re popular, advise your guests to book in advance so they don’t miss out.
- Keep a stash of board games: A box full of board games is perfect for groups of friends to while away a wet afternoon or spend an evening enjoying each other’s company.
Guests with pets
It’s becoming more and more popular for travelers to bring their pets on vacation. After all, they’re part of the family. If you have guests bringing their pets along, there are many simple ways to make their stay special.
Top tips to wow guests with pets
- Supply treats: Whether it’s a new chew toy or some tasty dog biscuits, having some treats to welcome your guest’s furry friend will be much appreciated. You could even work with a local supplier to offer coupons..
- Provide waste bags: A supply of waste bags plus a separate bin outside will make it easy for guests to clean up after their pets.
- Old towels: A supply of old towels to dry off a wet and muddy coat after a long walk.
- Make pet-friendly recommendations: Whether this is the perfect spot for a dog walk along the beach or a pet-friendly restaurant nearby, do some research and let your guests know.
Remember, to attract the perfect guests for your particular rental, update your house rules in your dashboard.
If you’re looking for more ways to enhance your guest experience, take a look at more articles and resources.
TripAdvisor Rentals would like to welcome you to the world's largest community. Learn how we can help boost your business and drive more bookings your way with global exposure to millions of travelers.
Joy Raymond, a successful TripAdvisor Rentals owner, explains how she runs her business. Hear how she became a 2017 Travelers' Choice Winner and recipient of the Certificate of Excellence.
TripAdvisor Rentals is the largest travel community. With travelers from all over the world, there is a wide range of demographics presented. This post is the first in a series of vacation rental upgrades. Learn how to make simple upgrades to attract one of the largest demographics on TripAdvisor - families with young children.